Saturday, November 22, 2008

La Atuna


So yesterday after class a friend of mine, Ryan, invited me and a few other girls from the program to a "concert" at his host family's house. He said his señora was trying to get about 40 people to come for a guitar concert in her daughter's flat right down the street. We agreed to go, skipping dinner, to see these Spanish guitarists. Well, once we get there Ryan informs us that he will not be allowed to attend the show cause it is only for girls. We had not in fact shown up to a guitar concert, but a traditional Spanish Atuna.

The tradition is from the 16th and 17th century where musicians, called Tunos, where authentic 16th century clothing, and come and sing from the street up to girls awaiting them on the balcony. Today the musicians are mainly college students, from all different areas of study, that have to work in order to join the band. It's kind of like a fraternity cause the rookies have to do whatever the other members tell them, not matter how embarrassing it is.

As surprised as we were when we got there, it was actually a really cool experience. There were about 15 of us girls who waited on the balcony while about 30 Tunos made their way down the street. They all played guitars and sang and danced in the street before bringing the party up to the flat. Then they continued to play songs and dance with the waiting girls.



At one point, the cops showed up to quiet the party down, but it was a lot of fun. Unlike most of the frats I know in the US, the Tunos were very cultured and intelligent guys. All of them were bilingual, and in some cases they spoke 3 or 4 languages. They could all tell us about the history of the Tunos and the traditions it brings. They were all also very talented musicians.

At about 1am, the owner kicked us out of her apartment, so we headed to the street again where they played some more music and we socialized. Then we headed to a local spot to finish the night off. It was really cool to see this little piece of Spanish culture. I had no idea the Tunos even existed before last night, but it was definitely a great experience.

Tonight the plan is to go out for some good Spanish tapas with my intercambio partner from CEA. I haven't met her yet, but she tells me there is a competition for Madrid's best tapa here tonight among all the bars. Afterward I might get to meet some more Spainards at her friend's birthday party as well.

Almost all of my roommates here have gone out of town for the weekend, so I'm enjoying my little piece of Madrid while I still can. Today I went out to explore a few more neighborhoods and do a little bit of shopping. There is always something to see in the city, and everywhere you walk there is history. It's really great. A lot of us are becoming aware of how fast our time is running out here, and I'm trying to make the most of every day I have left. It's really easy to get stuck in a routine, but I know I will never get a chance like this again. Like I've said before, it's going to be SO hard to leave this city, it has definitely captured a piece of my heart. (at least I have my new puppy Chavo waiting for me though...thanks MOM! :) )

5 comments:

Carol J said...

if you come back and say the best tapas in Spain are at a place called Emilios, then I'll KNOW this whole "spain" thing has been a farce! LOL. jokes on us!!

Carol J said...

"Chavo" - which Beatle was that again?!?

Lisa said...

Chavo was the lesser-known Mexican Beatle. He was actually the genius behind a lot of the Beatles' music, but they wouldn't give him credit due to his race. sad story.

haha jk, Chavo is adopted from a shelter so he came with the name. No worries, he will get a Beatles middle name :)

Carol J said...

oh, right - Chavo - the dude who wrote all of the lyrics to "Sargento Pimienta del Club de Corazones Solitarios Banda"

I remember now!!

Lisa said...

haha yep! that's the one. Aunt Carol, you're so smart, I'm glad ur the aunt who taught me how to read...